By Slavoj Zizek, Georg Lukács, Georg Lukacs, Slovoj Zizek, John Rees, Esther Leslie
Georg Lukacs was once dubbed "the thinker of the October Revolution" and his masterpiece heritage and sophistication realization (1923) is often held to be the foundational textual content for the culture often called "Western Marxism" together with the paintings of Theodor Adorno, Walter Benjamin, Ernst Bloch, Max Horkheimer, and Herbert Marcuse. notwithstanding, because the freeing energies of the Russian Revolution have been sapped by way of Stalinism, Lukacs was once subjected to ferocious assault for "deviations" from the "party line". within the mid-1920s, Lukacs wrote a sustained and passionate reaction to this onslaught. Unpublished on the time, Lukacs himself notion the textual content were destroyed. although, a gaggle of researchers lately came across the manuscript collecting airborne dirt and dust within the newly opened information of the CPSU in Moscow. Now, for the 1st time, this interesting, polemical and excessive textual content comes in English. it's a the most important a part of a hidden highbrow historical past and may remodel interpretations of Lukacs's oeuvre.
Read or Download A Defence of History and Class Consciousness: tailism and the dialectic PDF
Best consciousness & thought books
This can be a transparent evaluate of Hume's theories of the self and private id, together with his recognized Treatise on Human Nature. Pitson presents a severe exploration of his pondering, additionally analyzing the continued relevance of Hume's theories for modern philosophy and bearing on it to his broader reflections on human nature itself.
- Oughts and Thoughts: Rule-Following and the Normativity of Content
- On being stoned;: A psychological study of marijuana intoxication,
- Philosophia perennis: Historical Outlines of Western Spirituality in Ancient, Medieval and Early Modern Thought (International Archives of the History ... internationales d'histoire des idées)
- Philosophy of Dreams
- Tropes: Properties, Objects, and Mental Causation
- Boundaries of the Mind: The Individual in the Fragile Sciences
Additional resources for A Defence of History and Class Consciousness: tailism and the dialectic
90-134. ] 36 Page 36 4. Primarily in relation to his definition of a person as "persona uero rationabilis naturae indiuidua substantia". Contra Eutychen 4, p. 92. 5. In the important passage of De trinitate where he speaks about numerical difference and what causes it, he mentions "the principle of plurality" (principium pluralitatis). This surely was a factor in the development of the later terminology. De trinitate, p. 6. 6. Ibid. 7. In Isagogen, pp. 235-236 (PL 64. 114). In Gracia, Introduction to the Problem of Individuation 2, p.
C. Long, "Particulars and Their Qualities", Philosophical Quarterly 18 (1968); rep. in M. , Universals and Particulars (New York: Anchor Books, 1970), pp. 280-281. 19. Francisco Suátrez, Disputatio metaphysica V, sect. 2. 20. Gracia, Introduction to the Problem of Individuation, p. 34. 21. Edwin B. Allaire, "Bare Particulars", Philosophical Studies 14 (1963): 1-7. The similarities between the two positions should not he overstressed, however. See Woosuk Park, "Haecceitas and the Bare Particular", Review of Metaphysics 46 (1990): 375-398.
17. 27. This would he the ontological counterpart of the extensional view described earlier as Realism. 28. Individuality 3. 29. See n. 16. 30. These formulae are found in Boethius' translation of Porphyry's Isagoge, second edition, 4, 17, ed. Samuel Brandt, in CSEL (Vienna: Tempsky, 1906; rep. New York: Johnson, 1966), vol. 48, pp. 275 and 280. 31. K. R. Popper, "The Principle of Individuation", Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society 27 (1953): 107-112; J. W. ] 20 Page 20 Philosophical Studies 17 (1966): 65-69; V.